Since times immemorial, we have been using spectacles for vision correction. However, with the advancement in medical technology, we now have contact lenses to our rescue. Contact lenses, or just contacts, are thin lenses that are worn on the surface of our eyes. These ocular prosthetic devices are used by almost one fifty million people all over the world to correct vision or for cosmetic reasons.
People wear contact lenses for a wide variety of reasons. Some wear them for vision correction while others wear them to change the appearance of their eyes. We nowadays have a variety of color options for contact lens ranging from shades of brown, grey, blue, and green and many more.
Now, you might be wondering why you should suddenly switch to contact lenses.
- Better vision: When compared with spectacles, contact lenses offer better peripheral vision and do not collect moisture or perspiration from the atmosphere.
- No effect of weather: Many people who wear spectacles know the plight that it can cause when you suddenly enter an air-conditioned room from a warmer temperature and your vision is clouded due to the glasses.
- Freedom: Contact lens are often preferred by sportsmen or athletes or for outdoor activities. Conditions such as keratoconus and aniseikonia can be corrected better with contact lenses than spectacles.
Types of Contact Lenses:
Contact lenses can be of various types depending on the duration of their wear. You can wear a daily- wear contact lens for an entire day and remove before sleeping. Extended wear contact lenses can be worn for up to six consecutive nights. You can wear them even while sleeping because of their high oxygen permeability.
Rigid or Soft:
Contact lens are often categorized into rigid lenses and soft lenses, depending on the material with which they are made. Rigid lenses, because of their discomfort, failed to gain widespread popularity. Their main drawback is that they do not allow oxygen to pass through the cornea, which can often lead to adverse clinical issues. However, rigid lenses can cure corneal astigmatism.
Soft lenses, because of their flexibility, can be rolled or folded without damaging the lens. Soft lenses are made up of silicone hydrogel materials, which are highly oxygen permeable. Because of their higher permeability, you can wear them overnight while sleeping.
For Specific Problem:
You can correct a refractive error, presbyopia, color deficiencies, dyslexia, and magnification. Contact lenses can also be used to correct non-refractive disorders of the eye. They can be used to treat conditions such a bullous keratopathy, dry eyes, corneal abrasions, corneal edema, corneal ectasia, anterior corneal dystrophy among others. Nowadays contact lens are also used to deliver drugs to the eyes.
How To Use Contact Lenses:
The usage of contact lens requires the user to follow certain instructions. Before you touch your eyes or the contact lens, your hands should be washed properly with soap.
- You should avoid inserting the lens inside-out. Contact lens is usually worn keeping them on the index or middle finger and placing them on the lens of the eyes.
- Sometimes irritation occurs due to the difference in pH or salinity between the lens solution and our natural tears. However, it soon goes away.
- The removal of a contact lens also requires certain precision. Lenses can be removed by pinching the edge between the thumb and index finger.
- You should also know how to take care of your lens. Daily disposables should be discarded after a single-use. Others should be kept in proper solution for better longevity of the lens.
Today a lot of choices are available concerning comfort, good vision, and healthy eyes. However, it is always advisable that you get a professional’s advice before choosing one.