Every year one of my goals is to get into the best shape possible. I give myself 15 weeks and my training, nutrition, and supplementation are designed to achieve this. My prep is something that has evolved over years of trial and error. I hold myself accountable with weekly progress pics, weight ins, and measurements. I also make the necessary adjustments along the way. And each year I learn something new about myself.
What I keep learning is that is not all about the end goal. It is about the experiences along the way. For me I love the early morning cardio, the crazy hard Y3T training sessions, eating your meals in random places just to get them in, and going to the market with my son and him helping me prep my food. It is also that random person that comes up to you and says that you have inspired them to work out!
Above all else it is knowing that my son will not always do what I say but he will do what I do. If I show him consistency, hard work, healthy lifestyle, and that never give up attitude I believe I have done my job. Him seeing my picture in a magazine, pointing to it, and saying Dada is the best! I encourage everyone to find their WHY and do it every day. The world would be a happier place.
Interview with Billy Beyer:
Before I started what I like to call my true fitness journey, Billy Beyer would eat like an animal. 12 egg whites and oatmeal in the morning, a weight gainer shake 3 times a day, 2 meals consisting of about 12oz of chicken breast and 2 cups of brown rice, 8oz London broil and more brown rice, and I would finish the day with 12 more egg whites. Sure, I was getting stronger within the limited 6-8 rep range I was training in but I had about 25 extra pounds and felt horrible. I majored in Health Promotion in college and have owned my own personal training studio for 10 years. Somewhere along the way I had turned into a “meathead” and it was time for a change!
Also Read: Benefits of CrossFit Exercises
My AHA Moment:
5 years ago, I met my future wife-the most beautiful amazing person I have ever known. We met at the gym, she was a bikini competitor and would tell me all about her training, diet, and people she had met during her journey. It was at this time I truly realized I needed a change. A change in my training, diet, and my overall mind frame. I had all the motivation and was not training smart.
Also Read: Functional Fitness for New Moms
I enlisted the help of Neil Hill, a former profession bodybuilder and now a world-renowned coach. I had seen his sample workouts and diet in bodybuilding.com and they looked exactly what I wanted. I sent him my stats, goals, my current diet, and my likes and dislikes in terms of food. He sent me back the most detailed plan I have ever seen. And I have followed it 100% from the beginning.
I wake up at 330am take my supplements and perform 35 minutes of fasted cardio 5 times a week. I start my day personal training at 600am and train 6-8 clients in the morning. I then do my training program. The style of training is called Y3T and it will push you to the limit. It is so intense that before the session I get anxious because I am not sure I am going to get threw it. It is a 3-dimensional approach to training. Week 1 is 8-10 reps of each exercise using mostly compound movements. Week 2 is 14-18 reps of each exercise and uses compound and isolated movements. And Week 3 the most intense, physically and mentally demanding week is all supersets and giant sets with rep ranges reaching up to 80 reps! It will make you nauseas.
Friends and family don’t always understand my lifestyle. They do not understand why I don’t have a cookie or a piece of cake. I get looked at like I’m weird and there is something wrong with me. I have learned to stay true to myself and follow my dreams.
Advise to Others by Billy Beyer:
You will get judged, there will be jealousy as you make progress. Stay true to yourself and enjoy the journey, that is the best part. The journey is the dream. I plan on setting new goals in terms of my physique and following a plan to achieve those goals. I want to be in fitness magazines and hopefully a cover.
Here is workout plan for week 1 by Billy Beyer, a fitness trainer.
Day 1 – Quads & Calves
- Squats x 4 8-10 reps
- Leg Press x 3 8-10 reps
- Hack Squat x 3 8-10 reps
- Lying Leg Curls x 3 8-10 reps
- Glute Ham Raises x 3 6-10 reps
- Walking lunges x 2 10-12 reps
- Romanian Deadlifts x 2 10-12 reps
Day 2 – Chest & Abs
- Incline Dumbbell Press x 4 10-12 reps
- Incline Barbell Press x 4 6-8 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Flies x 3 10-12 reps
- Flat Dumbbell Flies x 3 10-12 reps
Also Read: 6 Best Chest Exercises For Muscle Building
Day 3 – Back & Core
- T-bar rows x 4 8-10 reps
- Rack pulls x 4 8-10 reps
- Wide Grip Pulldowns x 4 10-12 reps
- Single Arm Dumbbell Rows x 4 10-12 reps
Day 4 – Shoulders
- Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press x 4 8-12 reps
- Seated Machine Shoulder Press x 4 10-12 reps
- Side Lateral Dumbbell Raises x 4 10-12 reps
- Standing Cable Face Pulls x 4 10-12 reps
- Standing Calf Raises x 4 12-15 reps
- Seated Calf Raises x 4 12-15 reps
Day 5 – Arms
- Straight Bar Cable Pushdowns x 3 8-10 reps
- Overhead Cable Extensions x 3 10-12 reps
- Lying Skull Crushers x 3 10-12 reps
- Seated Alternating Curls x 3 8-10 reps
- Wide Grip EZ Bar Curls x 3 8-10 reps
- Hammer Curls x 3 8-10 reps
- Meal 1: 100g salmon, 3 whole organic eggs, 2 pieces of ezekiel bread, 2 tablespoons of bio-active yogurt with 1 tablespoon of blueberries
- Meal 2: 150g sweet potato wedges, 200g chicken, 75g veg 20g brazil nuts.
- Meal 3: 225g of cooked jasmine rice, 150g steak & 75g veg 100g pineapple.
- Meal 4: 150g sweet potato wedges, 150g turkey, 100g veg 20g brazil nuts.
- Meal 5: 150g flounder, 225g of cooked jasmine rice, 75g veg
- Meal 6: 100g ground turkey & 2 organic eggs
- 1 serving greens, probiotic. Digestive enzyme, 10g BCAA upon wakening
- Zinc, fish oil, D3, Vitamin C, Calcium after meals 1,2,3
- Digestive enzyme before meal 5
- 15g glutamin, 10g BCAA before training
- 2 scoops whey, 25g Vitargo (50g on leg and back day), 5g creatine, 1g vitamin C after training
- Magnesium before meal 6
Above all else it is knowing that my son will not always do what I say but he will do what I do. If I show him consistency, hard work, healthy lifestyle, and that never give up attitude I believe I have done my job. Him seeing my picture in a magazine, pointing to it, and saying Dada is the best! Billy Beyer encourages everyone to find their WHY and do it every day. The world would be a happier place.